Evaluation

After working and researching in using processing over the past few months, I have gained a great amount of understanding of how it works. At the beginning of the unit I struggled, probably because I didn’t know what a lot of the code meant. I understood the basics but when it came to ‘for’ loops and ‘agents’ I was lost. It also hindered me in what I wanted to produce. I poster earlier in my blog that I was unsuccessful in creating what I wanted for my first idea. However, after some research I can up with my final idea and what I wanted to achieve with it, I feel I accomplished both of these. My steps for my final idea were:

1. Track and draw over any movement on the screen, that movement represents public performance
2. Anyone stood still on the screen is not drawn on, reflecting private performance
3. Those who aren’t drawn over will be encouraged to move/perform in order for their movement to be drawn, making them public

I managed to meet these steps and was successful in doing so. The installation works slightly different to how I imagined it, but obviously I am still new to the software so it is difficult to replicate exactly what you imagine. However, I still achieved what I had set out to do whilst exploring my chosen theory taken from Goffman’s ‘Presentation of Self in Everyday Life’. There were some other minor problems to do with lighting in the background but they did not largely effect the installation. What I could improve on would be dealing with how the lighting in the background effects the drawing of movement as well as other ways to draw and animate movement. I could try different patterns or even a completely new way of representing movement as a public performance. I would also try another test, but for a longer period of time. By extending the duration of the test more people will have passed by and stood at certain times in Weymouth house. Thus, there would be more chance of people interacting with the piece. If I was to test again but with this situation, I would not crowd around it with the rest of the group testing their installations as I found it drew a lot of people away because we appeared to be doing work in quite an open space people did not want to get in the way.

Evaluation

Final test

As i’ve said in my previous few posts, I encountered some problems with my installation. Those problems as I’ve said have now been solved and it works fluently with no glitches and with a better frame rate. As you can see in the video below the delay/fade effect created after a person has moved works well. When people are stood still they are not effected by movement drawing and those moving are. The person on the far left is an example of a minority that I mentioned about before in (People in the space), they are stood at the side because they believe they would be getting in the way. This is not the intention however, but the purpose of the installation it is not always obvious to every person walking by or maybe they want to remain in their own private performance.

Here you can download my final code:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjwyd286lfg98av/Movement_Installation.pde?dl=0

Final test

Iteration 5 – Testing the installation

The first problem I encountered when testing my installation was that it was very glitchy and it had a slow frame rate. I looked into my code to try and find the route of the problem. Once found it was rather easy to solve. Before testing I found out the resolution of the screen (1080 by 720) I had changed the size of my processing sketch to the same measurements. However, I had not changed the resolution of the video itself. By changing all three lines of code below to same resolution the installation worked at a better frame rate.

size(1080, 720);
video = new Capture(this, 1080, 720);
opencv = new OpenCV(this, 1080, 720);

IMG_0347

Iteration 5 – Testing the installation

Iteration 3 – Colour Testing Problems

I have tried experimenting with different colours. I decided on black as I thought it would be more subtle. However, after testing the installation in a public space I decided that it wasn’t very effective. As you can see in the screen shot above the person moving in behind me is only blurred slightly and due their dark clothing there was not much of a visible effect. It’s only the person’s head that is distorted by the colour. This is not what I wanted to achieve and therefore black is not an effective colour. I will continue to experiment with other colours and note down their outcomes and decide whether they  are effective or not.

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 11.21.27Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 11.21.03

Iteration 3 – Colour Testing Problems

Iteration 3 – Colour Testing

Once I had finally achieve a delayed fading effect on movement I decided to explore with different colours and assess their outcomes. I tried both blue and black to see how well they would work. Blue stood out too much and looked to colourful for the purpose of the piece. Black is more subtle and after testing it a few more times proved that the drawn lines left behind after movement faded better. Blue seems glitchy and I wasn’t really visually pleasing for me. I will try some different variations of strokes and opacity and see what outcomes I get.

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 11.29.46Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 11.21.19

Iteration 3 – Colour Testing