Design Iterations – Category Directory

Advertisements
Design Iterations – Category Directory

Final test

As i’ve said in my previous few posts, I encountered some problems with my installation. Those problems as I’ve said have now been solved and it works fluently with no glitches and with a better frame rate. As you can see in the video below the delay/fade effect created after a person has moved works well. When people are stood still they are not effected by movement drawing and those moving are. The person on the far left is an example of a minority that I mentioned about before in (People in the space), they are stood at the side because they believe they would be getting in the way. This is not the intention however, but the purpose of the installation it is not always obvious to every person walking by or maybe they want to remain in their own private performance.

Here you can download my final code:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjwyd286lfg98av/Movement_Installation.pde?dl=0

Final test

Iteration 5 – Results of testing the installation

After testing some problems arose which were quite easily solved. One problem being that the outline was not very visible around people because they were far away from the camera. By simply increasing the stoke their outlines were more visible and actually made a better outcome than I expected. When I was testing the installation on my own at home it looked good but in a large area it work really well. I was asked about it by a person stood close and I explained to him what it was and what I wanted to achieve, he said it was “really cool and intriguing”.

Iteration 5 – Results of testing the installation

Iteration 5 – Testing the installation

The first problem I encountered when testing my installation was that it was very glitchy and it had a slow frame rate. I looked into my code to try and find the route of the problem. Once found it was rather easy to solve. Before testing I found out the resolution of the screen (1080 by 720) I had changed the size of my processing sketch to the same measurements. However, I had not changed the resolution of the video itself. By changing all three lines of code below to same resolution the installation worked at a better frame rate.

size(1080, 720);
video = new Capture(this, 1080, 720);
opencv = new OpenCV(this, 1080, 720);

IMG_0347

Iteration 5 – Testing the installation

The Setup

In order to test our installations we set up a macbook and webcam in Weymouth house. We connected the webcam and laptop to the screens on the ground floor. We placed the camera on to of the screen to get a good view of inside the building. At first I tried my installation with the webcam looking into the middle of the room where there where a lot of people moving around. I also tested the installation set up with a webcam facing the door to the building animating those who were walking in. I found that it worked better with the webcam and screen facing the entrance as it was very light outside. This meant that the installation was able to draw more of the outline of those walking, it was slightly darker inside meaning less movement was drawn onto the screen.

IMG_0346

The Setup